Abby’s Death


Video of Abby and Wendy riding in one of their remote cars was taken two days before Abby was attacked by a Siberian husky in our driveway.


For almost 12 years I have been going to “Animal Hospital At Murphy’s Corner” 1700 132nd St. SE Ste A, Mill Creek, WA 98012    425-316-8387  and seeing the owner, Dr Donna Sowder DVM.

SUNDAY June 11th:  My husband AI recorded a video of Wendy and Abby riding in one of their cars. I am so thankful we did this as it shows the two of them having a wonderful time.  My husband posted this video on June 13th. Wendy and Abby are my Emotional Support Service Dogs as I was diagnosed in 2010 with PTSD from my fear of police. I take them with me everywhere to help with the anxiety of seeing police cars and police in public.

Abby also shared the birth date of October 27 with my daughter that is no longer with me.

TUESDAY June 13th : On or about June 13th, 2017 early afternoon between the hours of 1pm-3pm I went outside in my front yard to clean up some weeds, I heard my Chihuahuas from inside the house barking to come out and to go potty, so I let them out and I watched them. I always stay with them as I have eagles and hawks that fly in my backyard and I am afraid for their safety. Also, it is difficult for me to use steps as I have health issues and osteoarthritis throughout my body.

I always have to check to see if my neighbors Siberian husky is out as the dog comes into our yard and driveway and I don’t trust that dog, never have. It acts and looks like a wild wolf. My husband Al has had to scare the dog away many times to get back in its yard and has even had to get the dog out of our garage before as it waited for us to let our babies out.

I saw my neighbor outside in his front  yard. I spoke to him and told him how nice it was that he cut down a tree in his front yard that blocked views and for years shed needles in my driveway that I always had to clean up.

My Chihuahuas were still with me at my side and they went potty, so I was turning to let my Chihuahuas back indoors. I was about 4-6 feet away from them and still standing there WITH MY NEIGHBOR when I saw his Siberian husky charging through the evergreen trees that separate our properties. I did not know this dog was outside until it came crashing through the trees and attacked my littlest Chihuahua who only weighs 8 pounds.

The Siberian husky dog grabbed my Chihuahua Abby and threw her to the ground and held her on her back while she was in its teeth. I heard the husky growling as Abby screamed, I screamed and got between the two to rescue my baby. The owner witnessed this and yelled at his dog. I do not know what he did with his dog as I picked Abby up and was trying to examine her for blood. I didn’t find any blood on her. She had screamed when the dog attacked her but she was no longer screaming, just scared and stiff in my arms as I rushed her into the house.  [I still hear Abby’s screams in my head and my heart]

WEDNESDAY 14th: She had some loose stools and a little diarrhea that afternoon and I continued to monitor her and watched her diet and stools. I thought maybe that the steak I made for her the night before was too rich for her system.  She appeared to be okay, just sore and stiff from the attack and she stayed in bed that day and I stayed with her.

I saw my neighbor again outside that same day and I explained to him that Abby was our baby and that we had to always watch her closely as she had back surgery in late October of 2016. I told him we had taken her to the University of Washington Veterinarian Teaching Hospital for her to get the best care and that we paid over $5,000 for her surgery. I was upset and angry with him that his dog attacked Abby, but did not show any anger as I still tried to be a good neighbor.

He apologized for his dog attack and he told me that he had the dog for 1 & 1/2 years and the dog had been his youngest daughter’s dog, but that the dog had been kept in a cage its whole life and the dog was now 5 years old. He said the dog “was not socialized”. He did not inquire how Abby was after the attack.

THURSDAY 15TH :  Abby couldn’t get up her steps so I called the animal hospital at Murphy’s Corner for an appointment with Donna Sowder, but they had turned the phones off or were no longer answering.   I have been told in the past that they do that when they are too busy. There was no recording to leave a voicemail.

FRIDAY 16TH : I called again early Friday morning and I was told they were busy and couldn’t see her. I INSISTED and BEGGED that she be seen and told them that she was going downhill fast and I feared for her life. I told them that I felt SHE WAS DYING. I was told to bring her in at 4pm that same day and they “would try to work her in but that Al would have to sit and wait”. I told them that her stomach was distended and she had excessive thirst and was weak. I asked they do blood work to see what was going on and did she have diabetes? Did the dog attack damage her?

My husband Al, took her in to be examined and X-rays were done to check her heart and for broken bones from the dog attack. Al asked that Donna please talk to me on the phone as he did not want to relay the wrong information back to me. Donna Sowder, our veterinarian of 12 years, told Al that she was really too busy but Al pushed again for her to speak with me while he was dialing me on his cell phone. During the conference call between Donna, Al and myself, I again requested that lab blood work be done because of the dog attack and that I felt her stomach was distended and she had excessive thirst.  Donna told us that she might have a “bug, and here are some pills, call back in a couple of days.”

I asked Donna specifically and directly if Abby was dying and Al and I were told NO. I was told her liver was enlarged and that she had a “bug that was going around”. Donna suggested we give her Ensure, but we couldn’t locate Ensure for dogs, so we mixed child Pedialyte with water. Donna wrote down her cell phone number again that I had been keeping for years to call in case of emergency. Donna said she would be a little hard to reach as Sunday was Fathers Day but to call.  She never advised me of a backup plan in case she would not be answering her phone and I relied on her being available for an emergency.

We were relieved that Abby was not dying and we believed in the diagnoses of a professional that had taken care of Abby for almost 12 years, someone we believed in and trusted. In 12 years I had never had to call her cell phone for an emergency. I have been known to go weekly or monthly for office visits if my babies were ill or if I wanted a urine or stool test for them to make sure there were no problems.

The animal hospital manager Cheryl, had texted me on Friday June 16th to tell me that her daughter was in the hospital. She was not working that day so she didn’t know I had been trying to get Abby seen. See the below text messages between Cheryl and I:

TEXTS BETWEEN Cheryl and I   Friday 3:05 pm

Cheryl: “Wanted to let you know that Annie has been admitted to Evergreen. Trying to figure out if they needed to do a brain shunt”.

Me: Jesus Christ!

Cheryl: Right. Kid can’t catch a break. Did you have your surgery?

Me: Yes, and I have to back for them to repeat it

Cheryl: that sucks. How are you doing?

Me: I’m afraid Abby might be dying. We are taking her to the vet in 15 minutes.

Cheryl: I’m so sorry honey

Me: I’m freaking out!

Cheryl: What’s going on?

Me: She can’t walk she can’t do a step she’s skin and bones but her belly is distended and her face gets flat where she’s laying on one side. She has never looked so bad! She looks almost dead

Cheryl: I’m so sorry. Let me know if I can do anything

Me: I don’t want her to die

Cheryl: Doc will do everything she can

Me: I will lose my mind when a baby dies

Me: Al is going in to sit and wait because they are all booked. I have tried to call then to tell them that I think Abby is dying but no one answers the phone. I hope he doesn’t wait too long before being seen cuz she’s in bad shape. If they look at her they’ll be able to see how bad she is.

Cheryl: I will call the clinic and give them a heads up

Me: They don’t answer the phone. I tried a few times

Cheryl: Might be a phone issue

Me: No, it goes to voicemail that they are busy

Cheryl: Sometimes they glitch on us. I texted Doc

Me: Thank you very much

Cheryl: Doc just texted me that Al is here. You’re welcome

Text messages ended at 4:07 p.m. Friday 16th


NEW TEXTS BETWEEN AL and I    June 16   4:11 p.m.

ME: “She got attacked by that husky a few days ago and he rolled her over on her back. Could he had hurt her? I didn’t see a bite !”

AL: I told Donna about the husky and Abby is getting an X-ray right now. Donna is doing an X-ray

ME: Is she dying? She looks so bad!

AL: NO. Donna wants to check her liver

ME: She’s not dying? Are you sure?

AL: Wait for the results of the gray. Abby has lost weight

ME: Do not f******** assume

End Texts at 4:28th June 16th, 2017

Al then called me and Donna, Al and I did a 3-way conference call as stated in June 16th office visit post

Al then brought Abby home with the medication that was given for Abby.


We continued to monitor Abby. She did not eat even favorites foods when offered food. I made sure she was getting the Pedialyte mixed with water by using an eye dropper. She never left the bed. We thought we needed to wait a day to allow the medications to take effect. That night she was noticeably worst, so I stayed awake with her, waiting to call Donna if she didn’t improve at all.  Donna had said to wait for a couple of days for her to improve.

SUNDAY 18th:

We could not get Abby to take her medication and she had further deteriorated during the night. I didn’t know what to do, so I paced the floor with Abby in my arms trying to keep giving her fluids

6:30 a.m. I called the Veterinarian, Donna and left a voicemail message begging her to call me as Abby was very bad and to please see her. I waited for her return call.

9:30 a.m.: I called again and left another message to please return my call but again never got a call back.

About 10 minutes later, I called Cheryl, the office manager and asked her for her help and she told me to go to Pilchuck ER. I called the Pilchuck ER and I spoke to an ER receptionist and I told her that Abby had been attacked by a dog, and I felt she was dying, asked their address and told them we would come right over. Al drove immediately to the ER with Abby and texted me when he arrived.

I then texted Cheryl to give her an update and asked that Cheryl PLEASE contact Donna to give the ER the information about Abby to help them better access Abby’s condition and their diagnoses. Cheryl and I spoke on the phone also and she told me that she herself would call them and tell them about Abby. Even though Cheryl had not seen Abby and was not a veterinarian, I felt she would contact Donna, the original veterinarian and get information. I felt since she had continued contact with Donna, that she would get the right information to the ER veterinarian’s taking care of Abby.

Sunday June 18th More Texts between Cheryl and I

10:36 a.m. Me: Abby is on oxygen and she has low body temperature, low blood pressure. They think she is diabetic and they are running blood test. They are going to do X-rays. If you talk to Donna then maybe Donna could call Pilchuck and give them an assessment of Abby

Cheryl: OK, I will try to get a hold of her. Please keep me updated

Me: We will not let her be put to sleep because to me that’s just killing her and I could never do that. I don’t ever have any luck over Holidays because my other Chihuahua died on memorial Day and my other dog did on Mother’s day. I hate Holidays.

Cheryl: I’m so sorry honey

Me: You’re having a bad time too I’m so sorry Annie is so sick

Cheryl: Thank you, she’s slowly getting better

Me: I want Pilchuck to get Abby stable so I can bring her to Donna tomorrow morning

Cheryl: OK, what do they think is going on?

Me: The blood workup results are not in yet but they think she has diabetes. Did Donna do any blood work on Friday when we were there? I just spoke to the doc and she is on oxygen and they have given her an injection to help with her breathing and to make her more comfortable. She is very lethargic and not responsive. They said they will know when the blood work comes back and then they’ll know how to best proceed. They said I might have to make a difficult decision and I told them no. I have cried all night and walk the floor with her. She hasn’t eaten in 2 days and they said her blood sugars levels were very low. They think her body is shutting down

Cheryl: Blood sugar is probably low from not eating. I don’t know if they did blood work Friday. I can try to find out.

Me: I don’t want to lose her

Cheryl: I love you honey

Me: Thank you, please help my baby

Cheryl: I will do everything I can. I am texting doc updates. I think she is at her dad’s grave

Me: I’m sorry, I know you’re going through a hard time

Cheryl: It’s all good. I wish I could be there for you

End  Texts at 11:14 a.m.

12:10 p.m.  Me:   Please can Donna save her

2:14 p.m   Me:   Abby is dead

Cheryl:  I’m so sorry honey

Me:  She died the very second that Al put her in my arms.  She took her last breath

Cheryl: Aww, she wanted her mommy

MONDAY 19th:

I have the phone records that show that I called the Murphy’s Animal Hospital at 9:37 a.m. and spoke for 4 minutes.  I spoke to the receptionist and asked that a semi-autopsy be done on Abby as I wanted to know the exact reason for Abby’s death. I also asked why blood tests weren’t done as I requested on Friday. I was told to “bring her in and doc will do an autopsy after hours” I told her that I didn’t want a complete autopsy done on Abby and have her “all cut up” and that I wanted to talk to Donna and let her know that I just wanted a “semi-autopsy” done and to have Donna physically look at Abby to look for signs and exact reasons for her death.  I called again at 2:56 p.m. and again at 3:07 p.m. for another 4 minutes and again asked for a semi-autopsy be performed and asked Donna to return my call and I was told she would.

I waited for the return call all day Monday and Monday night but as usual in the last few days, I didn’t get a return call.  On Sunday night I had placed Abby’s body on a dog bed in my living room and I kept wiping away the fluids that were coming from her body to keep her clean. I also kept trying to close her eyes but they wouldn’t stay closed. All night I kept checking on her, hoping she wasn’t really dead and would wake up.

As I waited for a return call from Donna, I called Seattle Pet Cemetery & Cremation Service to make arrangements for the cremation of Abby.  I was told that they could not do her cremation that day as they had shut down their crematorium for cleaning and inspection, but that I could “drop her off” until such time that the cremation could be performed.  I thanked them but told them no, that we could keep her with us until we could be there with her and have the cremation done. I was given the date of Thursday June 22, 1pm.  I was told that Abby’s remains could not wait that long and there would be very unpleasant changes and body fluids that would be difficult to witness. I told them I didn’t care, this was my baby, I would do what needed to be done for her. They advised me to refrigerate or freeze her remains between 32-37 degrees to keep the odor down and reduce her decomposition.  I dressed Abby in a party dress and covered her with a baby blanket and Al put her in our large freezer.

Because Wendy had a cough for many months and had been examined by Donna, I was concerned that her cough was getting worse. I was afraid that I would lose her too, so I called the Pilchuck Animal Hospital to make an appointment to be looked at by one of their “best” doctors. I was given the name of Dr. John and Wendy had an appointment that day at 5pm. I met with him and asked that any and All tests be done to find out why Wendy’s cough was bad and never got better. Blood work, urine, fecal,  and X-rays were done. I also asked Dr. John about doing a semi-autopsy on Abby who had died yesterday. He told me they couldn’t do an autopsy since she had been in our freezer. I explained that she had only been in the freezer for a couple of hours but he said it still couldn’t be done. He advised me to have Wendy see a cardiologist to get a ultra sound done on her heart to best access her heart condition.  He asked that we make an appointment with him after her heart test results were back. I made an appointment with Dr. Woodville, DVM DACVIM/CARDIOLOGY and Wendy was seen on Friday June 23, 2017.  Al and I kept checking Abby during the next few nights to see if she was alright.

THURSDAY 22I dressed Abby in a party dress with her favorite heating pad, roses, some grass and flowers from the yard, turkey meat, a toy of hers and one of Wendy’s,  photos of all of us, with letters from Al and I all covered with her baby blanket. I kissed her goodbye and Al drove her to Kent, WA. Al brought her home that afternoon and I put her little box on the pillow where she used to sleep next to me in bed.

FRIDAY June 23,:

Wendy had an appointment with Dr. Woodville, DVM DACVIM/CARDIOLOGY.   After her exam, he told me that Wendy didn’t need the medication that she had been on for a few years and that her heart was not that bad and in fact was on the mild end of a heart murmur and enlarged heart.  I was told to discontinue her medications. I showed him the cough syrup we were given by Donna and the bottle was only labeled “cough Syrup”. He had no idea of what the bottle contained and even asked their lab and they could not identify the contents.  He told me that he could not prescribe any medication for Wendy but felt that she also had bronchitis and would need antibiotics as well as a cough syrup that contained narcotics. He explained that he would get his results over to Dr. John and for me to make an appointment with him.


I wasn’t able to make any calls about what to do about the death of Abby as I was crying, distraught and couldn’t think straight. Al and I had been disoriented and in a fog of heartbreak.

Monday I called the Mill Creek Homeowners Association and I spoke to Mary Ann and told her of what had happened. I didn’t know what to do and how to handle this as I had never gone through this before. She told me that the owner of the dog had already gotten a fine and a letter of warning last year.  I was told that the dog should be destroyed and put down, and I agreed that this is a dangerous dog.  I was told I should report this to the police as it’s against the homeowners association and the City law to let a dog run free off leash. Mary Ann was very sympatric and understanding as she listened to what had happened. I appreciated her kindness at this difficult time.

Monday morning I called Murphy’s Animal Hospital and I spoke to Cheryl. I told Cheryl that I was very upset with the fact that I never received any calls from Donna on that Sunday or Monday when requesting a semi-autopsy on Abby. I told her that I was very upset and I considered this malpractice and neglect for the poor communication and mismanagement. I told her that I had always been there for anyone at the hospital and when did I ever refuse anyone’s request for help from Al or I?

Cheryl asked me if I wanted Donna to call me and I said that I didn’t want to speak to her that day as I was too upset. I said I should have been called when we needed a call. Again I told her we were very upset and I didn’t want to say anything in anger, but that I wanted the records of any animal I had brought to the animal hospital during my 12 years of being a client. I informed her that we would NOT be returning to the clinic and that I needed the records immediately. I was told she would “talk to doc”.


As recommended, I called 911 to report that my Chihuahua had been attacked by a Siberian husky. Two police officers came to my residence and I repeated what had happened. They were very polite and sympathetic and informed me that animal control would contact me the next day to take the report.

Later, in the local newspapers police blog FOR June 26, 2017:

“MURDER SUSPECT”  Officers responded to an animal complaint in the 1033 block of 150th Circle SE.

A Mill Creek woman accused her neighbor’s dog of killing her dog.”


Mill Creek Animal Control Officer Larissa Pigott contacted me by phone and took my statement. She told me she would have to investigate the attack before she could make any determination as to the outcome. She said since there were no witnesses that it would be the owner of the husky’s word against mine.  I told her that I wanted a complete final report and she told me that I would have to request the public records. I was very upset about the statement that it would be one owners word against another’s since there were no witnesses. I told her the original Veterinarian at Murphy’s animal corner knew of the attack.

The animal warden called me back after she spoke to both animal hospitals and said that there was no proof that the husky was responsible for the death of my Chihuahua, except there was a mention of a husky attack on Abby on the 13th.  I told her that my Chihuahua was OK until the attack and that I had a video of her in one of her remote control cars riding in the driveway taken on Sunday 11th.  I told her to put aside the actual death of my Chihuahua for a moment, the fact that the husky left its property and attacked my Chihuahua in and on my property that this should suffice as being considered a dangerous dog. I was told that there was no infraction for a dog attack, there was only “dog running off leash” and there was a $250.00 fine that the owner would have to pay as they admitted their dog was “off leash and running at large”.  I told her that I can’t prove the dog killed my Chihuahua as I am not a Veterinarian, but I was there and I witnessed the attack. It was my opinion, without a doubt that the Siberian husky is responsible for the death of my Chihuahua.  I also feel that the neglect of Murphy’s Animal Hospital is also responsible and contributed to the death of my Chihuahua, Abby.

Also, we have been informed that the owners of the Siberian husky have admitted to their dog running at large and that they have to pay a $250.00 “Running at Large” fine.  It is my opinion that “Running at Large” is not sufficient and further charges need to be added.

The owners of said Siberian husky dog have not made any attempt to apologize for their dog attack.

I told her that I would pursue this matter in court if necessary. I told her that I felt this dog was dangerous and should be put down and she told me that she doesn’t have the right to have this done. I would think this conversation would have been recorded, even though I was not informed. Some of the written statements I have made here were from two different phone calls and a visit from her.

The animal warden also contacted my husband Al and took his statement over the phone and came to our home to left blank police reports for us to fill out and send back to her to complete her investigation

MCCA: I called Mary Ann from the Homeowners Association but she was out sick. She returned my call but I was too upset to speak with her so I asked if she would call me the next day

Mary Ann called me the next day and she told she apologized and that she had gotten the wrong dog mixed up and that this Siberian husky had no previous complaints. She had thought I was speaking about another dog in another development. She asked why no one had every complained before and I told her that everyone had tried to be “good neighbors” and not call police on a nuisance dog or cat problem.

Washington State laws:

I have researched the Washington State laws and according to the definitions I feel that the Siberian husky that attacked my Chihuahua, Abby, should be considered both “Potentially dangerous” dog and “Dangerous dog “ as stated in RCW 16.08.070 through 16.08.100

RCW 16.08.070

Dangerous dogs and related definitions.

Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout RCW 16.08.070 through 16.08.100.

(1) “Potentially dangerous dog” means any dog that when unprovoked: (a) Inflicts bites on a human or a domestic animal either on public or private property, or (b) chases or approaches a person upon the streets, sidewalks, or any public grounds in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, or any dog with a known propensity, tendency, or disposition to attack unprovoked, to cause injury, or to cause injury or otherwise to threaten the safety of humans or domestic animals.

(2) “Dangerous dog” means any dog that (a) inflicts severe injury on a human being without provocation on public or private property, (b) kills a domestic animal without provocation while the dog is off the owner’s property, or (c) has been previously found to be potentially dangerous because of injury inflicted on a human, the owner having received notice of such and the dog again aggressively bites, attacks, or endangers the safety of humans.

(3) “Severe injury” means any physical injury that results in broken bones or disfiguring lacerations requiring multiple sutures or cosmetic surgery.

(4) “Proper enclosure of a dangerous dog” means, while on the owner’s property, a dangerous dog shall be securely confined indoors or in a securely enclosed and locked pen or structure, suitable to prevent the entry of young children and designed to prevent the animal from escaping. Such pen or structure shall have secure sides and a secure top, and shall also provide protection from the elements for the dog.

(5) “Animal control authority” means an entity acting alone or in concert with other local governmental units for enforcement of the animal control laws of the city, county, and state and the shelter and welfare of animals.

(6) “Animal control officer” means any individual employed, contracted with, or appointed by the animal control authority for the purpose of aiding in the enforcement of this chapter or any other law or ordinance relating to the licensure of animals, control of animals, or seizure and impoundment of animals, and includes any state or local law enforcement officer or other employee whose duties in whole or in part include assignments that involve the seizure and impoundment of any animal.

(7) “Owner” means any person, firm, corporation, organization, or department possessing, harboring, keeping, having an interest in, or having control or custody of an animal.

2002 c 244 § 1; 1987 c 94 § 1.]

  • Primary Citation: West’s RCWA 16.08.010 – 100
  • Country of Origin: United States
  • Last Checked: September, 2016

more +


This Washington statute outlines the state’s dangerous dog laws.  Under the law, the owner or keeper of any dog shall be liable to the owner of any animal killed or injured by such dog for the amount of damages sustained in a civil action.  Further, there is strict liability for the owner of any dog that bites any person while in a public place or lawfully on a private place including the property of the owner of such dog, regardless of the former viciousness of such dog or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness.  However, proof of provocation of the attack by the injured person shall be a complete defense to an action for damages.


I have tried to make a made a very detailed account of the events from the dog attack on my Chihuahua for all for future legal proceedings, documentations, Internet and public publishing, as I intend to file complaints and pursue liabilities against all parties involved in the case and death of our Chihuahua, Abby. This has been an extremely heartbreaking trauma for us, especially my Abby who lost her life

To date on Monday, July 10th, 2017, I have not received a phone call or received medical records that I requested from Murphy’s Animal Hospital.

It was my opinion, without a doubt that the Siberian husky is responsible for the death of my Chihuahua and  I also feel that the neglect of Murphy’s Animal Hospital is also responsible and contributed to the death of my Chihuahua, Abby.

I hereby declare that the facts and information contained in this document are true

Linda D. Hernandez


July 10TH, 2017

Many people know that Abby died, and people have been so wonderful sending prayers, love and light as they walked with me through this horrific time. People have asked how Abby died and I couldn’t bring myself to put down in words the events that happened as I had to re-live the scenes. The video of Abby and Wendy riding in one of their remote cars was taken two days before Abby was attacked by a Siberian husky in our driveway.

What I have learned about State vs City animal laws since then has made me angry and I wanted everyone to be aware to check your local and State laws to protect yourself and your fur-baby’s. I blame the Siberian husky for the attack and my veterinarian of 12 years for neglect and mismanagement.

Washington State has laws that keep “Dangerous” and “Potentiality Dangerous” dogs under control but the City of Mill Creek does not or follow have these same laws. I feel that any city should automatically adopt and put in place any law that is already in place by a higher State Law, especially to protect children and pets.

I spoke to the Mayor of Mill Creek and now I am going to the City of Mill Creek Town Council meeting on Tuesday. The Mayor was VERY understanding and told me she read the police blotter and was very sorry to hear of Abby’s attack and death. She was not aware that this was not part of the laws of the City of Mill Creek and said she would consult with the Chief of police to investigate this. I am posting what I wrote on the Internet for the Town Council to read as well as anyone who wants to read about how to protect your children [2 legged and 4 legged]

“With only one match I will make an explosion”……